Friday, March 26, 2010

Living Without Balance

I have a fun boss who wrote a book called Living With No Balance... and Loving It.

The idea is, we have to give up the idea that when I'm at work I don't think about home, and when I'm at home I don't think about work.  After all, full time employees spend 70% of their waking lives at work, so why would you try to make a 50/50 split - you'd fail every time.

I'll admit at first I hated the idea of blending the two.  I was protective of my free time.  Now I've learned to embrace it and living without balance has become my favorite part of my job.

I've allowed myself to enjoy the places I visit for work a bit more.  I've given myself permission to hang out with the people, to see the sights, enjoy the views and soak up some culture.

That is worth a call at night or a conference call on a Saturday every time.  In fact, as I'm writing this, I am at work but sitting on a porch overlooking this beautiful view (seen here) and enjoying the Caribbean... what could be better than that?!?

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I think this works better when your job takes you to dream destinations. The last thing I'd ever want to do is invite my clients to intrude on my personal time. I couldn't stand them when I was at the office! :)

    ReplyDelete